Back / Spine Injury

Injury to the spine or spinal cord is a rare but serious occurrence that can have life– changing effects. According to the National Spinal Cord Injury Association, approximately 11,000 people a year in the United States suffer spinal cord injuries. That means there are 30 new spinal cord injuries every day in this country. A spinal cord injury usually begins with a sudden, traumatic blow to the spine that fractures or dislocates vertebrae. In the United States, 88 percent of spinal cord injuries are caused by motor vehicle accidents, acts of violence and falls. Sports injury and disease account for the other 12 percent.

Symptoms of spinal cord injuries vary, and can include extreme pain and pressure in the neck and back, loss of muscle function, loss of motor skills, loss of ability to feel hot or cold, difficulty breathing, loss of bowel control, changes in sexual function, numbness and tingling feelings and exaggerated reflex functions or spasms. Often, after an accident, the injured person doesn't know they have a permanent injury. They just wait a few days or weeks, hoping their problems will improve. If you have seriously injured your back or spine, these injuries will often not heal like the rest of your body. Disks can be herniated, ligaments can be stretched and vertebra can be fractured, all of which will require treatment by a specialist to help aid you in your recovery.

Spinal cord injuries typically result in one of two types of paralysis: paraplegia paralysis affecting the legs and lower part of the body, or quadriplegia paralysis, affecting the level below the neck and chest area involving both the arms and legs. All injuries to the spine are serious and less than one percent of people with spinal cord injuries fully recover. It is very important to seek immediate medical attention if you suffer a spinal cord injury. The damages occur as soon as the spine is injured and prompt medical attention can prevent further injuries and complications.

Back and spinal cord injuries are considered permanent and those who have suffered from these types of injuries are often in need of special assistance and care for the rest of their lives. At the Wolfe Law Firm, we understand the physical and emotional toll that back and spinal cord injuries can have on you and your loved ones, as well as the financial toll that can be brought on by the inability to work and pay for medical bills. At the Wolfe Law Firm, our experienced staff is dedicated to helping you pursue every avenue possible to receive the compensation you deserve. In the unfortunate event that you or a loved one suffers a spinal cord injury at no fault of your own, contact the Wolfe Law Firm.

It is important to consult with an experienced personal injury attorney as soon as possible because there are time limits to filing a personal injury claim. Our experienced staff will show compassion and help you through the struggle ahead as you deal with a serious spinal cord injury.

Call our office to schedule a free consultation. We will speak with you in plain English and honestly answer the difficult questions that arise after a tragic spinal cord injury. If we decide to take your case, we will do so on a contingent–fee basis, meaning that we do not get paid unless we recover money for your injury.